Ditch diet foods for weight loss success? Yep! Low calorie or low fat diet foods have been around forEVER. And while the demonized nutrient in question changes, the same basic premise remains. Here’s why I encourage my clients to eat the real thing, even when they have a big health or weight loss goal.
Less Satisfying = More Cravings
Especially with a treat food, choosing the light or diet food version is likely to backfire. It will be lower on the tasty scale (fat carries flavour and is low in both low fat/low cal foods) and so won’t satisfy the actual craving your brain had. This generally keeps the craving going as you haven’t scratched the right itch, causing you to eat more of the diet food, which defeats the purpose of choosing something lower cal in the first place.
When it comes to treats, enjoy a smaller amount of the REALLY good real thing. Your brain and taste buds will be more satisfied and the craving cycle can complete.
Less Filling = More Food Eaten
Less Nutrients= More Hunger
Low Calorie or Low Fat Diet Foods You May Want To Swap
- Light or low fat salad dressing -> regular dressing
- Light or reduced calorie peanut butter (generally higher in sugar) -> Regular natural PB
- Low fat cheese -> Full fat/regular cheese with good flavour (think aged cheddar, parmesan etc – more flavour = less needed)
- 0% MF yogurt->2% + yogurt
- Low calorie cereals -> Regular oats (rolled or steel cut)
- Light chips -> your favourite regular flavour and kind
- Low fat chocolate -> a small amount of your favourite delicious sweet
Need some help getting your meals for the week balanced and prepared? If you’d like to receive our free Meal Planning Getting Started Guide AND get in on our weekly emails about all things nutrition so you can get clarity and confidence on what you’re eating, join us here!